A Big Step
Starting school is a big change for children, so here are some things you can do to do help your child. Over the next few months let your child get used to:
- eating and drinking without help
- unwrapping food
- unscrewing a bottle
- peeling fruit
- getting a drink from a tap
- putting on and doing up shoes. if possible have shoes with buckles or velcro clips. five years old find laces difficult
- using a handkerchief or tissue
- putting on and taking off a jumper
It is important that your child knows how to:
Use and flush the toilet and wash his/her hands. (If you have a boy be sure he knows how to use a boy’s toilet). In the early weeks of school send spare underclothes if you expect toileting problems.
Say his/her name and address.
Care for his/her belogings. ie. Remember where his/her jumper has been left after taking it off.#
Source: The Lady Gowrie Child Centre (Melb.) Inc